Posted 6 June 2017
are looking for an Interior/Exterior Designer with a difference. This contract role involves interior and exterior design for renovation projects; and these can be as small as a $30,000 budget and as large as a $200,000 budget and everywhere in between.
Hotspace works differently to most Interior Designers as we prepare a ‘Renovation Action Plan’ for our clients. This is a reader-friendly scope of works which is detailed in nature but eliminates the ‘tech-speak’/jargon so our clients can actually understand what we are recommending.
In the beginning, this will be mainly a behind-the-scenes role until you’re up to speed with how Hotspace works. You’ll be preparing Renovation Action Plans alongside me and this will include;
– Client site visits (Brisbane/southern Sunshine Coast/northern Gold Coast) or telephone briefing sessions with clients
– Liaising with me to decide the big picture design direction for our renovation projects
– ‘Flesh out’ the project’s interior/exterior design details
– Write reader-friendly scopes of work for Renovation Action Plans
– Source and insert descriptor images for Renovation Action Plans
– 3D sketching (hand sketch or CAD)
– 2D plan drawings (hand sketch or CAD)
– Provide cost estimates for clients renovation
– Follow up with clients/answer questions (but no further site visits)
– Working out of my home (most of the time)
Qualifications / Experience required:
1. At least 10 years continuous practical and on-site experience
2. Interior Design qualification – this role is not for someone with just a good eye for design and has designed a few homes. You will need to have a design qualification and at least 10 years of ongoing practical experience with renovations of existing homes (Note: If you haven’t worked during the past 5 years or less due to family commitments I am still happy to consider you for this role). In particular, for this role, you need to understand the design principles, be creative within limitations (as any project with a budget requires you to do!), know how to write Scope of Works specifications and be able to flesh out Renovation Action Plans to meet the Hotspace design style and client budgets.
3. On-site practical experience is essential. Ideally you will have carried out your own home renovations (DIY or otherwise) as well as co-ordinated many renovations for clients during your career. Practical experience is particularly necessary since cost estimating for renovations is a significant part of this role
4. Written English – Your grammar and spelling must be impeccable. Previous experience writing scopes of work is necessary and ideally reports of some description so that you can articulate and clarify the design specs for the client
My goal is that you will eventually become fluent and confident working autonomously on client projects and the remuneration will reflect this. To begin with, remuneration will be paid at $700 per Interior/Exterior Renovation Action Plan, $500 per Interior Renovation Action Plan and $300 per Exterior Renovation Action Plan. Within this, you will be responsible for your own travel time/fuel costs (up to 50km from your home/Hotspace office), cost of phone calls and of course preparation of the Renovation Action Plans. Eventually, you will be able to complete a project in 10-12 hours (Int/Ext), 7-8 hours (Int only) and 3-4 hours (Ext only) including travel/briefing time, although to begin with it is likely to be double these hours. I expect there will be one Interior/Exterior Renovation Action Plan for you to complete each week, although some weeks there may be none and some weeks there may be one a smaller project. Time flexibility is important (within school hours generally).
Who am I?:
In the beginning, you will be working with only me, Jane Eyles-Bennett. I started Hotspace in 2006 after selling my Commercial Interior Design business in NZ. I am a fair, happy (generally!) and fun person to work alongside. I’m definitely not a helicopter boss (ie a micro-manager) but I have high standards and like my guidance to be taken on board. I’d like my new team mate to have a similar design style to me; light/white colourings, a splash of warmth and a modern, linear aesthetic.
For me, the personality and attitude of the Interior Designer I work alongside, is as important as the technical skills. After all, technical skills and renovation knowledge can be taught to a certain degree. For this reason, it is essential that you are super-friendly, fairly outgoing, positive thinking and you love to laugh and have fun in your work. It’s important that you don’t mind a bit of swearing as this is a regular occurrence in the office. If you also love to drink wine and solve the world’s problems, this is a definite bonus! I’m a big believer in personal development so you would need to be happy to work with a mindset/business coach if required (alongside me). In the beginning, we will be working from my home in North Lakes, so you would need to be ok with that too. Eventually, I envisage that we will get an office somewhere nearby.
As a contractor:
You will need to supply your own phone/phone plan, laptop and other office supplies.
I am very excited about teaming up with another capable, creative and experienced designer to share the creative load, so if this role sounds like you, please email your CV, covering letter, and a selection of before and after photos of your work to
Please note: Any applicants who do not meet the 4 qualifications required will not receive a response.
When and how long is this job duration
Location of job: North Lakes, Brisbane Northside, QLD